We all know, the kidneys are so important. But why? Let’s know why kidney and kidney health is important. Kidneys are a pair of a bean-shaped organ located under the rib as one on each side of the spine and are responsible for clearing wastes from the body. Your kidneys also remove the acids produced by cells and maintain a healthy chemical balance of the body. And you know, your kidneys process 200 quartz of blood every day and filter minerals and removes wastes and extra water. This extra water is changed into the urine, which flows to the bladder and keeps it until you go to the bathroom.
Do you know the roles and responsibilities of your kidneys? Your kidneys
- Make urine
- Remove wastes and regulates fluid balance in your blood
- Regulating and filtering minerals from the blood
- Control your body’s chemical balance
- Help to control blood pressure
- Help in keeping your bones healthy
- Helps in the production of RBCs
The wastes come from the different parts of the body and food you eat. Your food and drinks are transformed into energy. Some of the byproduct after the digestion process will be sent to the kidney. It is either be recycled and use it, or it will be excreted as urine. The major compounds that the kidneys remove are urea and uric acid.
If your kidneys fail to remove these wastes, there arise our health problems. The worsts will be accumulated in the body and can damage cells and the ability of kidneys to function. This will lead to not only weakening your body and rapid loss of weight but also to the end of life.
Now, let’s discuss three main kidney related issues
Diabetes is said to be one of the deadly reason that can damage kidneys badly. Long term diabetes affects the capillaries of the kidney. The symptoms will be unclear for years even the damage starts to develop.
High blood pressure can lead to either kidney damage or failure. Due to high blood pressure, a lot of blood vessels get damaged, the nephron that filters your blood don’t receive enough oxygen and nutrients to function. Hence the kidney tissues face a draught of blood. This is why High BP is considered as the second leading cause of kidney failure.
Kidney stones are the common kidney problem that people deal with. Usually, doctors suggest drinking more water to cure the situation. A kidney stone can cause intense pain when it blocks the ureter, the vessel through which urine flows to the bladder. Such small stones are expelled through urine.
Kidney infections require prompt medical care. This is due to the migration of bacteria from the bladder. If it is not treated on time, the bacteria can spread in the blood and threaten your life. Kidney infections are more common in women than in men, especially in their pregnancy time. Lower back pain and painful urination are the main symptoms. Sometimes, fever also found in people have a kidney infection.
Cause of Kidney Diseases
Some of the main causes of kidney diseases are;
- Pain Killer / Analgesics: Frequent use of analgesic drugs such as aspirin, acetaminophen, salicylates, and morphine, etc over a long time might result in chronic kidney disease.
- Alcohol: Consuming too much alcohol can affect the functions of the kidney. Alcohol dehydrates body that can put the kidney into chaos. It will be hard to maintain the chemical balance of the body. Also, alcohol can alter the kidney’s filtering ability.
- Immunoglobin A: This occurs when Immunoglobin A(IgA), antibody develops in the Kidney. This IgA helps to form a vital part of the immune system. But, build up is harmful to the kidney and can lead to kidney failure. abdominal pain, rash, and arthritis are common symptoms that one should care.
Check out the common symptoms of kidney disease that you should not ignore. If you find any of these, visit a doctor or a kidney specialist nearby.
- Back, side (flank) or groin pain
- Abdominal pain
- Swollen legs
- Strong, persistent urge to urinate
- Burning sensation or pain when urinating
- Nausea and vomiting
- Pus or blood in your urine (hematuria)
- Urine that smells bad or is cloudy
Now, let’s discuss the drinks, foods, and herbs that are good for kidney health.
Best Drink to Flush your Kidneys
- Beet juice
- Lemon juice
- Cranberry juice
- Pumpkin seeds
- Dandelion tea
- Marshmallow root
- Red clover
Best Foods to Keep Your Kidneys Healthy
- Red bell peppers
- Red grapes
- Egg whites
- Olive oil
Make sure your kidneys function well and you are healthy. Never ignore any symptoms if you find in your body. Visit a doctor immediately. If you don’t know one, search on gomyhealth website. To create awareness on kidney health across the world, a joint initiative of the International Society of Nephrology (ISN) and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations (IFKF) started a campaign. And World Kidney Day is observed annually on the 2nd Thursday of every March. This year World Kidney Day is observed with a theme
“ Kidney Health for Everyone Everywhere “
May everyone everywhere stay healthy and lead a healthy and happy life.